- 2 to 3 Ibs ripe tomatoes- Roma or Beefsteak 3 to 4 cloves of garlic-chopped or sliced
- 5 leaves of fresh sweet basil or 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Blanch tomatoes for 1 minute and then peel and remove seeds and hard core. In a large stock pot lightly saute garlic, basil, oregano, and pepper in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes
- Cut tomatoes into 1/4’s and slowly add to pot of spices.
- When it comes to a boil, simmer and cook for about 11/2 hours.
*** I have cooked a pound of pasta added with the sauce and put it into pint size containers, put labels on them and take a few to the hospital, when I go in for my treatment. Often it’s a lot better than hospital food. I do the same with my soups. I have found there is always someone who can heat it in the microwave for you and gingerly hand it to you through the door.
- 1 large green pepper and 1 large onion diced can be added to the sauce along with the spices and lightly cooked prior to adding tomatoes.
- If you want to make it into a faux meat sauce, you can by using ground chicken or ground turkey.
- Brown the meat along with the spices and then add the tomatoes.
*PLEASE BUY FRESH GROUND CHICKEN OR TURKEY. THE PRE-PACKAGE ONES USUALLY HAVE ADDED SALT AND PRESERVATIVES. THAT IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO AVOID.