- 3 medium eggplants, about 4 1/2 pounds in all, cut into 1 1/2 cubes (do not peel)
- 1 cup best-quality olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves,
- coarsely chopped juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
Line a roasting pan with foil and add eggplant. Toss with half of the olive oil and the minced garlic. Bake for about 35 minutes, until the eggplant is soft but not mushy. Cool slightly and transfer to a large bowl.
Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Add sliced onions and cook, covered, over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Add onions to the eggplant.
Season generously with black pepper; add fresh basil and lemon juice. Toss together. Adjust seasoning and serve at room temperature.