- 10 large tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 2 to 3 small garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, crumbled.
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar substitute
In 4-quart saucepan combine an ingredients except sugar substitute; set over low heat. Bring to simmer and cook until carrots are soft, 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Let cool slightly.
In blender container process 2 cups of tomato mixture until smooth; transfer sauce to 3-quart bowl and repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture, processing 2 cups at a time. If sauce is slightly bitter, stir in sugar substitute. Measure sauce into plastic freezer bags or freezer containers and label with date and amount; store in freezer until needed.
Yields 2 1/2 quarts sauce.