- 2 to 3 lbs. of ripe tomatoes
- 2 1/2 lb. chicken – cut into eighths
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cut-up onions
- 1 large red or green .pepper- cubed 2 to 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil 1 large .green or red pepper
Blanch tomatoes for one minute. Peel and remove seeds (They are very easy to peel, but I don’t remove all of the seeds – I cheat and leave some seeds in – it adds bulk and flavor).
In a large skillet or oversize frying pan, brown chicken parts in olive oil, pour off 1/2 of the remaining fat.
Add oregano, garlic, onions and peppers all at the same time. Saute 5 minutes then add tomatoes. (Be careful, it spatters).
After cooking about 35 minutes add the mushrooms.
Cover and cook over low heat, simmering about 20 to 25 minutes.
You can also use chicken breasts and you will not have to cook more than 45 minutes. Either way, it can be put into serving portions and it freezes well. It’s great over pasta, rice or barley. I use brown rice, lots of nutritional value; we have to stay healthy!!!