Select turkey breast with skin, can substitute chicken breasts. Avoid packages with injected broth or additives, select fresh cuts. 3 ½ pounds serves 8. Make marinade and season poultry 4-12 hours in advance. Can yield enough for 2 meals.
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest (2-3 lemons)
- ¼ Cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh sage leaves or for chicken crushed rosemary leaves
- ½ Tsp dried thyme or 1 Tsp of fresh chopped thyme
- ½ Cup rough chopped flat leaf parsley
- Make marinade: Whisk garlic, lemon zest and juice with olive oil. Stir in herbs. Set aside.
- Rinse poultry and pat dry with paper towels, place in large glass baking dish that has been sprayed with vegetable oil.
- Gently loosen skin from meat to create pockets but do not remove skin from poultry breast.
- Be careful not to break skin. Before serving the skin will be discarded.
- Spoon marinade under the skin, you may need to use your fingers to evenly distribute.
- Gently pull and replace skin over any exposed meat.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 F degrees
- Remove plastic wrap and bake poultry until cooked through and juices run clear. Internal target temperature is 165 degrees. Remove from oven and loosely cover with a foil tent to rest.
- Remove skin and slice thinly to serve. Garnish with fresh herbs and lemon slices.
Tip: Can use any leftover turkey or chicken on bed of mix salad greens for lunch.