- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 bunch of carrots-diced
- 1 large white carrot-diced
- 2 medium potatoes-diced
- 1 Ib mushrooms-sliced
- 1/2 Ib string beans-cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces*
- 1/2 Ib green peas
- 1/2 head of cabbage-shredded
- 1 large turnip or rutabaga
- 2 large tomatoes-peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup barley and or brown rice
*bouquet mixed herbs-parsley, dill, rosemary tied with white pepper to taste
In a large stock pot brown onions in oil. Add all of the above and enough water to just about cover the veggies (about 4 to 6 cups). When it comes to a boil, lower the light to simmer and cover. Mix every 15 minutes or so to make sure nothing sticks to the pot. After 45 minutes check to see how tender the veggies are.
Note: All vegetables need to be fresh, not canned.