- 1 1/2 Cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1 Cup (8 oz) frozen (no-salt added) artichoke hearts
- 4 medium plum tomatoes
- 1 Cup (8 oz) frozen peas thawed
- ¼ Cup diced red onion
- Set artichoke hearts aside to thaw.
- Cook rice using package instruction but omit any salt and margarine. Can substitute no salt chicken stock for all or half of the water. Let rice cool to room temperature.
- Cut each artichoke heart in half and blot dry with paper towel. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and cut into thin slices.
- Place tomatoes in large bowl, add artichokes, cooled rice, peas, and onion. Toss well.
Note: Arborio rice is Italian short grain often used in Risotto, check label for zero sodium.
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic finely minced or pressed
- 1 Tsp sugar
- ¼ Tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- red pepper flakes
Whisk lemon juice, garlic, sugar and pepper in bowl or shake in jar until blended. Add olive oil to mix or shake until incorporated. Add basil and parsley, shake and pour over rice mixture.
Cover and refrigerate for several hours for flavors to develop and blend.
Tip: Do not add Dijon mustard as you would in a vinaigrette, it contains high levels of sodium.