- ½ oz or 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1.5 Tbsp grated fresh ginger root
- ½ Tsp each ground allspice, cumin and chili powder
- ½ Tsp curry powder
- ½ Tsp ground coriander
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 parsnip chopped
- 1 stick of celery chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 6 oz (3/4 cup) red lentils washed
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) brown basmati rice
- 3 pints (6 cups) chicken broth (use LOL low iodine recipe)
- 1 pint (2 cups) unsweetened coconut milk or 14 oz can reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Pour oil in heavy-based pot; add ginger, allspice, cumin, chili powder, curry powder, ground coriander and onion. Cook until fragrant over medium heat, about 2-3 minutes.
Add remaining vegetables, continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
Add lentils and rice, stir well, add stock and bring to boil. Simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lentils have started to break down.
Remove about half of the soup to puree in food processor or blender. Return pureed soup to pot, add coconut milk, lime juice and coriander. Heat through but not to boiling, remove from heat before it boils, and serve immediately.
Note: Do not use coconut milk for pina colada drinks. Check can label, do not use any with stabilizers or additives, and look for single ingredient, coconut milk or with water only.